About the Opportunity
UN Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) is looking to hire a Legal Officer for the New York office, in the Substantial Contracts and Procurement Cluster.
The United Nations Office of Legal Affairs is a United Nations office currently administered by the Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and Legal Counsel of the United Nations Miguel de Serpa Soares.
As the central legal service of the Organization, the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) provides unified legal advice to the Secretary-General as well as the Secretariat and the principal and other organs of the UN on questions of international public and private law.
- Serving as a lead officer in one or more areas of concentration, and independently handling a wide range of multi-discipline and complex legal matters.
- Provides advice on all legal aspects of the investments and related investment activities of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF), in consultation with its Office of Investment Management (OIM), where required
- Provides advice on all legal aspects of the investments and related investment activities of the United Nations Secretariat, in consultation with UN Treasury, where required
- Providing legal advice on the interpretation of legal instruments and legislation (as applicable) as well as UN and UNJSPF regulations, rules, and policies.
- Providing legal advice on diverse substantive and procedural questions of considerable complexity
- Performing extensive legal research and analysis and prepares legal opinions, studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence;
- Providing legal advice to the unit/division.
- Services committees, task forces, expert groups, and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc.
- Reviewing, advising on, drafting, and negotiating complex contracts, agreements, institutional and operational modalities, or legal motions/submissions and other legal documents; developing new legal modalities to meet unique needs/circumstances.
- Providing advice and support on the Organization’s procurement activities, both at Headquarters and Offices away from Headquarters and the field, including on procurement relating to logistical support requirements for United Nations peacekeeping and other missions.
- Education: Advanced university degree in law is required.
A first-level university degree in law in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Admission to the practice of law in the Member State of the candidate’s nationality or in another Member State of the United Nations is required. (For eg. Enrollment with the Bar Council of India for legal practitioners in India)
- Work Experience: Minimum 7 Years
- Language: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
New York, USA