Associate and Legal Counsel – Investment Management Agreements and Client Document Support
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co (“JPMC”) is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally conform to the Corporation’s lines of business (“LOBs”) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis.
J.P. Morgan Asset and Wealth Management (AWM) is one of the largest asset and wealth managers in the world. AWM serves distinct client groups globally through multiple businesses: institutional and retail clients through Asset Management (AM), and high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients through Wealth Management (WM), which includes the Private Bank. AWM offers global investment management in equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity and liquidity. AWM also provides trust and estate, banking, and brokerage services to high net worth clients, and retirement services for corporations and individuals.
JPMorgan’s Legal Department seeks an experienced lawyer to support its AM Legal team in EMEA, focusing primarily on reviewing and analyzing investment management agreements and client documentation. The selected candidate will support efforts to drive documentation of asset management, and to communicate related requirements to the AM business.
Location and Reporting Lines:
The location of this position is Mumbai, India, at the J.P. Morgan Mumbai Corporate Centre (“MCC”) functionally reporting to the EMEA Head of AM Institutional in the United Kingdom, and to a local supervisor at the MCC.
- Reviewing and drafting portfolio management and investment advisory agreements for institutional clients, request for proposals, non-disclosure agreements, and power of attorneys.
- Assist with negotiating the above agreements.
- Assist AM Legal and the business side with the regular update and maintenance of AM agreement templates.
- Engage with external counsel, Compliance, LOB lawyers and other stakeholders to source and coordinate feedback where necessary.
- Act as first point of contact in the Legal Department for assistance in advising on AM business issues in relation to investment management agreements and client documentation.
- Conduct additional legal and market research and assist on special projects as needed.
- Help ensure implementation of AM mandatory onboarding requirements across AM contract population.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, with excellent English writing and communication skills.
- Law degree and membership in jurisdictional organization. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in legal practice.
Excellent legal research skills. Experience with Westlaw or similar services preferred.
- A team player who can collaborate and communicate effectively with attorneys and other business and compliance professionals.
- Strong analytical thinker who is detail-oriented, practical and skilled at issue spotting and problem solving.
- Self-starter who is able to work collaboratively in a high performing team, takes ownership of responsibilities and projects, is results-oriented and flexible.
Ability to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced, complex business environment and maintain communication with attorneys regarding project status and estimated completion timelines.
- Competence with the suite of Microsoft Office products, including Microsoft Excel.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal Department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- LLM preferred.
- Knowledge of EMEA financial service law and process preferred.
- Knowledge of other European languages is a plus.J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.